Pages

9.21.2005

Heretical Musings :-)

I found some notes I had jotted down in my planner - they're not fully developed, but I'd thought I'd post them up and see what happens! :-)

We were created in imperfection so that we could realize that we must make the journey home (to wholeness, to heaven) together - if we were perfect we wouldn't need other people, and Christianity is (or should be) a communal faith.

Also, if God had created us "perfect" then we would be gods as well, not humans - God alone is perfect . . . that means that necessarily - ontologically - we must not be perfect . . . it distinguishes us from God.

Maybe "imperfection" is not the right word . . . maybe that word is more indicative of a longing, a yearning for something beyond us, something that completes us . . . we are not created complete (perfect) because we will be complete at our re-birth in heaven.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

4 comments:

Kc said...

Does this mean there really was no “fall” of man; that our sinful nature was a part of His plan? Maybe I should try to understand what you’re questioning first. Is it why aren’t we perfect from birth?

Unknown said...

Hugo,
Here is a thought for ya.
Show me a scripture that we are created perfect... I will show you one where man is created and it was good.

We were created in goodness. With one law... not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil... we only knew goodness, then we also knew evil... We develop right/wrong thinking. Yet, God always wanted us to return to His Goodness.

I view that creation need not be perfect, only good as God declared. Man need not be perfect as only God is perfect. We are to be His creature who is IN His goodness and mercy and grace.

Later, and as I believe even now we can and are clothed in the righteousness of Christ who as Hebrews speaks of as being MADE perfect because of His obedience.

So I relate as an imperfect creature who is loved by and love his perfect Creator.

Blessings,
iggy

Hugo said...

kc: I don't remember what I was questioning :-) I'm sure it was some inservice/workshop/conference where I disagreed with the speaker/lecturer/presenter, but for the life of me I can't place it. However, I think that "no fall / no original sin" is what I might have been going for with the reflection.

iggy: i agree with your reflection in that we are created in goodness . . . the more I think about kc's post the more I think I may have been having an issue with someone talking about Adam & Eve as literally real people who literally ate from an unknown fruit tree and theeby brought imperfection into the world. I think this would be contrasted by the paradise that we mythically found ourselves in @ the beginning of Genesis and were sconsequently "kicked out of" because of original sin.

Hmmm . . . there may be an actual post in there somewhere! :-)

Thanks for the comments guys!

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Kc said...

What? YOU THINK I'M TOO PROUD TO BEG??????

Well I'm not! So pretty please Mr. Wizard it's past time for an update. ;-)