Pages

4.03.2007

I'm either a heretic or a saint . . .

So the blog title doesn't actually have anything to do with the blog itself (well . . . maybe tangentially, but not directly), but it's a comment I cherish. :-) It came from a student in a catechist certification course I gave a few years ago . . . ahh, fond memories . . .

But I digress . . .

I signed up for a trial of Blockbuster's online movie rentals. The site gives you the option of rating movies you've already seen so that it can recommend movies you might like to see (and so it can filter out movies it doesn't think you'd like to see when you click on "recommend"). Well, I've been going through and rating movies I've seen . . . and so far I've rated over 400 movies . . . (443 to be exact). Update: 503 movies - Update Again: 583 movies :-)

And I know there's more movies out there I've seen and just haven't gotten around to rating yet. Which brings me to my tangential blog title: I don't know whether to be proud of the movies I've consumed or to be worried about the time spent on them.

To be sure, much of that movie watching came from my high school and college days - it just seemed that there were so many movies to watch! However, I'm also a big fan of renting, with this foray into online renting being a nice change of pace (3 movies out at a time, with unlimited movies every month) from driving down to Blockbuster, Hastings or Hollywood Video and having to physically rent movies (I'm getting lazier all the time!)

However, as we're currently in the season of Lent, I have to wonder as to this proclivity - that's a lot of time spent watching TV, computer screen or big screen. If each movie averages about an hour and a half, that means I've spent 650 hours (27 days - almost 1 full month!) engrossed in media.

Hmm . . . though 1 month isn't all that much time . . . but that could just be my inherent rationalization mechanism kicking in . . .

So an interesting thing for me to discover . . . I think once I've rated everything I've seen I'll post a complete number, and we'll see how high up I get. But in the meantime, Jesus' words are discomforting: for where your heart lies, there your treasure lies too.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

2 comments:

Little Miss Tangent said...

I totally hear you on this one... I have been thinking lately about the number of hours that I spend on the internet... just on myspace alone... and I feel guilty... I think we should form a support group. "Hello, my name is Hugo, and I am addicted to the modern technological luxuries."
"Hello, Hugo!"

Hugo said...

lol - I've updated my number of movies again - it just keeps getting bigger! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo