Pages

3.21.2005

Belief-O-Matic

If you've never taken the Belief-O-Matic quiz from Beliefnet.com, please go ahead and stop what you're doing (which is reading this blog) and go take it now (20 questions - take at the most 15 minutes). I'll wait . . .

Now that you've figured out which spiritual path you should be taking, I'll tell you that I've taken the quiz a few times and I've never come out as 100% Catholic. In fact, Catholic usually comes out somewhere in the late single digits or early double digits for me. :-)

I teach religion teacher certification courses for our superintendent, and for one class (I think it was on Prayer & Spirituality, but I can't specifically remember) I had all my students (teachers) invade the computer lab at our school so we could take this test. I had one (1) (!) teacher come out as 100% Roman Catholic!!! :-) We all promised not to tell our respective principals or our superintendent! :-)

Anyway, it's a fun quiz, and just so you know, I just took it right now again, and my results were (drum roll, please):

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (89%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (85%)
4. Orthodox Quaker (83%)
5. Neo-Pagan (70%)
6. New Age (69%)
7. Mahayana Buddhism (66%)
8. Reform Judaism (64%)
9. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (61%)
10. Hinduism (60%)
11. Theravada Buddhism (59%)
12. Seventh Day Adventist (58%)
13. Bahá'í Faith (56%)
14. Sikhism (56%)
15. Eastern Orthodox (54%)
16. Roman Catholic (54%)
17. Secular Humanism (54%)
18. Jainism (53%)
19. Taoism (53%)
20. New Thought (47%)

lol! :-) Each and every time the number one result has been the same: I come out as 100% mainline to liberal Christian Protestant (so much for me being a token Catholic!). My wife has taken it a few times and she usually comes out as a Quaker (liberal or Orthodox).

I know which answers to choose so that I come out Roman Catholic - it's interesting, because I know the theology and could theoretically come out 100% Catholic all the time . . . but I like to see what other possibilities I could take. Who knows . . . maybe I'll have my own Church one day (and if I do, you're all invited to the grand opening)! :-)

I notice that Roman Catholic came out in the lower teens this time . . . I'm getting less and less Catholic as I age . . . hmmm . . . I better die quick! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

9 comments:

Hugo said...

lol! :-) Now I know how to introduce myself to others, "Hi! I'm 70% Neo-Pagan!" :-)

Yeah - like I said, I know the "right" answers to come out Roman Catholic, but I still put down my own thoughts and beliefs . . . and I'm 100% Protestant. Glad to hear you're Quaker - my wife'll have company. :-)

As for the image . . . now I have a mental image to picture when I read your posts! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Unknown said...

It is not a very great quiz as I had to at times just pick the closes one out of the choice that non matched...like question 12...
But, you can see the result of mine on my blog...
It was a little interesting and fun though.
blessed,
iggy

Unknown said...

I was looking over your results and comparing them to mine... and
(in a childish sing songy voice)
I'm more Catholic than yoooooouu!
hahahaha
iggy

Hugo said...

I agree that some of the questions you kinda have to take the one you disagre with the least (or that is the closest approximation to what you really believe). But it's still a fun test to take. . . and they do tell you that they assume no responsibility for your eternal soul . . . :-)

Blessings & Peace,
hugo

Unknown said...

One of my pet peeves is the misrepresentation of CHristianity as just rites, rules, regulations.. and such...missing the deeper elementals of our faith.
But, then that's how the world sees us.
Blessed,
iggy
(the token Catholic?)

Hugo said...

I thought the world saw us as abortion-bombing, intolerant, backwards, deluded fools . . . but I could be wrong! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Unknown said...

Hahahaha!
I think that IS how we are represented on the media.
Blessed,
iggy

sofyst said...

actually I have taken the other quiz beside the denominational one, I took that one first after reading matt's site. These are my results:

1. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (100%)
2. Orthodox Quaker (95%)
3. Seventh Day Adventist (91%)
4. Eastern Orthodox (86%)
5. Roman Catholic (86%)
6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (75%)
7. Hinduism (57%)
8. Liberal Quakers (57%)
9. Islam (52%)
10. Orthodox Judaism (52%)
11. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (45%)
12. Jehovah's Witness (45%)
13. Unitarian Universalism (42%)

Hugo said...

Sofyst: lol! :-) you're more Catholic than I am, also (just like iggy) . . . I should prob just turn in my resignation and go work somewhere else :-)

Thanks for dropping by :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo