Pages

4.02.2005

Pope John Paul II

Just a quick update in the midst of my busyness . . .

I pray for the soul of our holy Father Pope John Paul II. I was privileged to meet him personally my senior year in college (1994). I was privileged to celebrate Mass in his private chapel with about 30 other people present. And I was privileged to grow up as a Catholic while he served as the Servant of the servants of God.

I mourn him as a man who had a deep and abiding devotion to our God, to our Lord, and to the Church entrusted to his care and guidance. I mourn him as a man who was devoted to the youth and young people of this world. I mourn him as a man who, in his last days, became a living homily for those who are ill, sick, unable to take care of themselves, suffering, and dying. I mourn him as my spiritual leader and the temporal leader of the worldwide Catholic church.

But most of all I mourn him because, in the brief week that I spent in the Vatican, I had to acknowledge him as a man of great personal holiness. Every time that I was in his presence I could feel the peaceful, passionate, prayerful devotion for our crucified and risen Lord.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon him.

May he rest in peace.
Amen.

May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God,
rest in peace.
Amen.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugo,

All day I've been remembering the time we all spent in Denver. The awesomeness of the moments spent in his presence, even sharing those moments with thousands of others.

Indeed today the gate of heaven has opened and a beloved son has been welcomed home.

Blessings and Peace,
Ceci

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon him.

May he rest in peace.
Amen.

Hugo said...

Ceci: I remember how when everyone was chanting "John Paul II, we love you," he went up to the microphen, raised his hands in a blessing, and responded, "Joh Paul II, he love you."

There probably aren't too many people that we as Catholics cna point to and say with much assurance "oh yeah - he's in heaven." JP II is one of them :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Anonymous said...

I may not be the greatest Christian by any standard of faith. However, when I needed to find someone as an example in a time of trials Pope John Paul II. Lived, breathed, and believed in his faith... thus being a light for all of us lost in the shadows of the modern age.

May he rest in peace.

Hugo said...

Skipper: or lost in the post-modern age :-) But I agree - he really was someone you could point to and then paraphrase Paul: imitate him as he imitated Christ.

Alejandro: He was actually only *really* fluent in about twleve languages (only!!!) - but he could read, write and/or speak many more, but not enough that he felt comfortable preaching in them, only conversing informally.

Also, I've been swamped @ home and work - I still have the vegitarian post in the back of my head, but I prob won't get to it until this weekend. Sorry! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Anonymous said...

vegetarianism--Pure Nonsense

Hugo said...

Anonymous: lol! :-) Direct and to the point - mind sharing your thoughts on that, though?

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Anonymous said...

Vegetarian question:

Catholic point of view
First pope was a fisherman certainly not vegetarian.

General Christian point of view
Take communion, eating the body of Christ sounds more like cannibalism--certainly not vegetarian.

Buddist point of view
killing--it's bad kharma--well last I checked plants are living, I would tell the Buddist--just drink water, who needs food ;)

Psychotic dieter
Atkins--Just eat beef.
Vegetarian--Just eat vegatables.

My point of view
Eat good nutritious food. Food that will build the body and meats do build the body.

If your conscience tells you not to eat meat, DON'T but that doesn't mean it's wrong to do so. IF you don't want to eat vegetables DON'T but wait until your mother finds out about it.

Hugo said...

Anonymous: lol! :-) Look for the post by tomorrow afternoon! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo