Pages

3.08.2006

And the Award Goes To . . .

I like to watch movies. I have a membership with Hollywood Video that lets me rent up to three non-brand new releases at a time for free (I pay approx. $16.00 a month for this privelege). The Hollywood Video closest to me is only a few minutes away, and I've been renting movies there for a while. Most nights outside the Hollywood Video there's a young man who sells home made candy apples for a dollar a piece. Most nights when I rent a video I make sure to have a dollar ready.

Last week I had several videos to return, and I was going to look for several more to rent. As I approached the Hollywood Video I shook hands with him and talked for a bit, then gave him my dollar and told him I'd grab the apple when I came out. I spent an inordinate amount of time browsing (I was looking for something for my wife and I couldn't find it, and of course I didn't ask for help because I'm perfectly capable of finding one DVD on my own!), and when I walked out the Candy Apple Vendor was gone. At the time I didn't think anything of it - I'd forgotten about the dollar.

Monday night I went back to return the videos and game I had rented, and I saw him farther off from his usual post next to the return box by the door. I went in, thinking I'd say hi to him when I came out. About a minute after I came in he approached me and apologized for leaving early the week before . . . and he was holding a candy apple in his hand which he owed me.

I was touched by his honesty and by his desire to make sure I understood why he had to leave (his dad came to pick him up earlier than usual). I was challenged by his honesty as well . . . would I have done the same? I was impressed with his character and know that he has jumped forward by leaps and bounds on my internal trust-o-meter.

Please keep him and his family in your prayers - they struggle for cash and do their best to make ends meet. I pray that in all of my theological meanderings I remember his example.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

No comments: