Pages

10.15.2006

Back from the Conference

I attended the National Youth Workers Conference put on by Youth Specialties in Austin last week/weekend. It was my first time attending, and I really enjoyed it. The first day and a half I participated in a contemplative retreat entitled "Becoming the Beloved." It was facilitated by Mark Yaconelli, and it was the best part of the conference for me. The retreat was focused on the story of Jesus walking on the water towards his apostles in the boat on the lake. We spent time in Ignation contemplation, artistic meditation, lectio divina, small group listening, and quiet, individual prayer. The rest of the conference went well, but it paled in comparison to that retreat (though getting to see Thousand Foot Krutch & Kutless in concert came close!). :-)

I bought two books that I'm reading at the moment: Contemplative Youth Ministry & Generous Orthodoxy. Both of them are fitting me quite well, and I'm trying to keep the contemplative vibe I picked up on retreat as I assimilate back into my normal life.

Say a prayer for me that I can keep this contemplative approach to my life as I decompress from a long conference/retreat/mountaintop experience.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you enjoyed the conference.

Those books are good. My youth director has commented on Contemplative Youth Ministry. He uses a lot of it in his Youth group.

I've read McLaren's Generous Orthodoxy. I liked it a lot.

Hugo said...

I'm fired up about introducing a contemplative approach to our staff meetings and technology committee meetings, as well as to my general approach to my ministry and family life, along with my classes and extracurricular group. Generous Orthodoxy seems to resonate with me on several levels. I've already devoured Contemplative Youth Ministry and am racing through Generous Orthodoxy, so I'm going to go back and re-read and savor them afterwards.

Ahhh . . . I do love finding good books to read and reread. :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo